Attitude is the state of mind with which you approach a situation or look at the world. It is demonstrated by how you act and react. It is how you feel and how you make others feel.
It can be seen to be positive or negative. Attitude affects performance.
What is a positive attitude?
A positive attitude means being an optimist and looking for the good in things, rather than being a pessimist and concentrating on the bad in things.
There is little difference between people, but the little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.
- Internal – how we think and how we feel, our mind-set. This is the voice inside that can send positive messages and reinforce positive behaviours or it can eat away at our confidence. This can be emotionally and physically draining.
- External – the way we communicate this mind set to others. Our behaviour is the personification of our attitude.
6 Tips for Maintaining a Positive Attitude
- Decide to have a positive attitude. We are responsible for our own happiness; other people can’t make us happy. We need to decide to make ourselves happy then we don’t have to wait around for someone else to do it for us.
- Surround yourself with positive people. We become like the people we spend the most time with. When we surround ourselves with negative people, we can become negative. When we surround ourselves with positive people, their attitude is contagious.
- Use positive affirmations. L. Kitselman said, “The words „I am….‟ are potent words; be careful what you hitch them to.” We need to replace our negative self-talk with positive affirmations. Replace “I hate getting up in the morning” with “I am grateful for a new day.” Eventually changing our self-talk will lead to the changes in our behaviour.
- Be very selective of the music and news information that you listen to.
GARBAGE IN = GARBAGE OUT!
- Take time to help other people. Perform some community service; help a neighbour in need. When we do some service for others, it takes our mind away from our own situation. It also demonstrates to us that we can have a positive impact on our world.
- Don’t stop; never give up. Even when we have a positive attitude, we still have days when we don’t feel quite so positive. On these days, we may need to take extra time to review the previous six tips and remember to not give in to the negativity around us.
How to display a Positive Attitude on the field/at work
Choose to be:
- Positive – Set yourself to have a good day. Prepare well.
- Enthusiastic – This begins with the first contact you have at the ground.
- Responsive – Be prepared to have appropriate conversations
- Friendly – Remember we are there to enjoy the environment
- Smile – Meet and greet with a smile. Set the tone for the day.
- Courteous and professional – Present well both physically and in your manner
- Approachable and communicate at a personal level when appropriate
- Have a sense of humour and know when to impart it.
10 Things That a Positive Attitude in the Workplace Can Do
- Career success
- Reduce stress
- Less sick days & better productivity
- Improve client relations
- Become a better leader
- Improve the attitude of other employees or those who report to you
- Improve teamwork
- Improve motivation for yourself and others
- Improve decision-making and overcome challenges
- Improve Interpersonal Relations