1) Contrary to what people believe, the lion is not actually the king of the jungle as most lions hardly survive alone in the jungle, the title actually belongs to the tiger, who is the real king of the jungle. Lions live a social life and hunt in packs.
2) Despite being the heaviest cat in the cat family, the lion can chase a prey at 50 MPs. faster than many light weighted animals.
3) The pig is the 4th smartest animal on earth, behind dolphins (1st), primates (2nd) and elephants (3rd).
Although universally known as a dirty animal, the pig is actually one of the neatest animals around. Dirtiness comes from where and how the pig is reared.
And their body smell or odor is not as serious as the common he-goats. The pig is actually the 3rd best animal to keep as a pet when it comes to neatness, behind the rabbits and the cats, neater than dogs.
4) The pig is better at identifying scents than dogs. A dog can identify over 600 different scents, but a pig can identify over 1200 different scents.
People sometimes see pigs as a dirty animal because of how it plays in dirt or muds, but most times it is used to regulate their body temperatures, other large animals that does this includes seals, elephants, hippopotamus among others.
5) We may share a kinship with primates, but we have more things in common with the pigs. For example, pigs eat anything and everything they can anything at all, guess which other species eats like that? Humans. Pigs eat virtually everything humans eat and more.
Also, we have almost similar organs with the pigs. We share 70-80% similarity with primates in terms of organs of the body, but we share an amazing 92% similarity with pigs, so similar that the heart of a pig is the same with the heart of humans, the same size and shape.
Scientists have started working on performing a transplant of organs from pigs to humans, after carrying out a successful transplant on a chimpanzee.
If successful in humans, it will save over a thousand individuals every year since pigs are general donors, unlike primates that can only donate to those that are their blood type.
6) The elephant makes use of and accesses up to 47% of the part of their brains that holds memories, more than humans that access only about 26%, this is why elephants can remember people that were kind to them or harsh to them over 50 years ago.
Elephants are also known to mourn the loss of a family member for days, and when somebody who is very kind to them dies, they go to pay homage, they can trek over 2000 miles for this.
The elephant can also sense when there will be rain and can sense water from over 800 miles from where they are.
7) The elephant trunk is one of the strongest and multitasking part of the body of an animal, what is more, amazing is that the elephant trunk contains no actual muscle.
The trunk is used for smelling, drinking, trumpeting, eating among other things.
It can be used by an elephant to lift a load as heavy as 600 pounds. Elephants are also known as great swimmers and they use their trunk s as oxygen tube when swimming.
8) The wolf as research has shown is believed to have domesticated itself in order to become our domestic dogs so as to live and survive among humans.
Dogs, even though they have almost the same size as hyenas and foxes actually evolved from wolves as it has been proven by science that they share similar DNA.
The wolves are just two times bigger than the normal big dogs like German Shepherds.
9) The wolves are also known to be 30 times smarter than house dogs which is why it will be very hard for humans to domesticate wolves successfully.
10) Cats are the most popular pets in the world, with an average of 15 million cats in America alone, which is more than dogs and birds like pigeons.
This is quite possible, given that a female cat can give birth to over 20 kittens in just one birth.
Cats have also known to survive jumps from as high as the statue of liberty. This has led to the myth of cats having nine lives, but it is actually because of the modification of their skeletons.
12) Cats don’t spit as many people believe, they don’t even have any poisonous venoms, and they only mimic the hissing and spitting sounds of snakes when they feel threatened.
Cats are also the second neatest pets to have behind rabbits.
13) Cats are the only animals besides humans that kill for pleasure sometimes.
They are also known to play with and torture their preys sometimes before killing them. This is one major similarity they share with humans.
14) Crows and Ravens are the smartest birds known to man. Unlike other animals that pick up tools for hunting and reaching for their foods, crows and ravens have been known to make their own tools when hunting.
Crows and ravens also never forget a face. They have been used by the U.S military sometimes to track missing soldiers during wars, and have also been used to track terrorists and criminals.
All the military do is show them the pictures of who they want to track and the Ravens and crows will go tracking for days.
15) Crows and Ravens are also known to be vengeful birds since they never forget a face.
They are so social that they can gang up and attack other animals or even humans that have wronged or threatened them before after closely following and marking them.
They like the elephants, also mourn the death of their family members or loved ones.
They are the only birds that don’t get scared of scarecrows in farmlands. They even use their strong beaks to pick off or destroy scarecrows when they see one.
16) Owls are the best hunters and predators in the bird family. They are so good at hunting that they can sight a prey from over 100 feet from above the ground and over twenty feet deep underground.
This is because of their well-modified eyesights. They are believed to have the best eyesight in all the animal kingdom, and their eyes are almost 2/3 of their whole head.
When hunting, owls are the only animals that can fly without making a single sound with their wings and they can make soundless flights, especially during the day, they become so quiet that their prey won’t know what got them before attempting to escape.
Their claws are not shaped like other normal birds, they have two claws in front and two claws behind.
This makes it very easy for them to grab and hold on to their preys.
17) Owls are also known to be able to adjust their body mid-air when flying. They can change their position and even remain still while in flight.
They have the ability to rotate their heads to over 280 degrees backward and can also turn their head upside down, this is because of how their skeleton and vertebrae are modified which makes it hard for their preys to escape their eyes.